Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wrapping Everything Up!

Lets see I didn’t go to the daycare last week because I was getting ready to go home for break. – Break was wonderful I had a great Thanksgiving with my wonderful family! - So about two weeks ago when I was at the daycare was the week where there was the tornado watches. The daycare had that planned out very well. When the sirens went off the kids were having snack time. The teachers got the children to quietly line up at the door. Also, they brought the “Field Trip Bag” which is just a backpack with some activities and some things that might be needed in an emergency. All of the kids were very good they sat against a wall while they were read stories. When it was time to go back in the room it was a false alarm and we headed back into the hallway. Since the kids were missing snack time they were each given some crackers and water. This time we colored pictures and sang songs while we waited. By the time the warning was over it was time for the parents to pick up the children.
I just got done with my hours for this week. They had some great activities up in the room, one of them being a cardboard house that the kids got to help decorate using strips of cardboard. They also had many other play tools that they could use in the play construction site.
It was snowing a lot and many of the kids spent time just watching the snow fall on to the playground outside.
I am all finished with my hours now and Monday will probably be my last day at least for this semester. Also, this is my tenth and probably last blog.
Hope that everyone’s service hours are going well and almost finished up!

3 comments:

  1. I give the daycare some props for being so prepared for tornado warnings like that. I’m surprised the kids were so cooperative. Normally they’re all hyper and not wanting to sit still. I’m glad that kids still play the same kind of way I played when I was little. I’ve noticed that outside of the daycare/preschool setting kids don’t really play the way we did when we were little because they have more video games I suppose? I used to always pretend to build stuff with tools so I like that they still do that.
    I noticed that you somewhat implied that you might continue your service work next semester. I decided last week that I was going to continue with my service work too. I actually enjoy the service work that I do and it is going to look really good on applications. It is so nice that everything is finally wrapping up for the semester. It is a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad the daycare had a plan in place that kept the kids from freaking out. I was on campus, underground, and I was still freaking out about the sirens. I guess places like that kind of have to figure something like that out. It would be absolute pandemonium if they somehow didn’t have a way to keep all of the children calm. It sounds like the kids didn’t even know what was going on. To them it was just snack and color time while sitting against a wall, I guess. If I were that age and knew what was going on, no amount of coloring would be able to keep me calm.

    Glad you’re done with your hours (and your blog posts). It really is a relief. I’m done with my hours and just have one more post to do. It’s just gonna be a wrap-up of what I’ve learned and what I’m doing about the memoir paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the daycare place was well prepared for the tornado warnings, and the kids knew what to do. if they weren't the kids might have been a little scared and wouldn't what's going on.
    I'm also done with my service hours, and I just have to meet with the professor whose my supervisor sometime this week to get his his signatures on for the service hour log. Overall, the class and the community service I did was a great learning experience. I think I'm going to continue doing it next semester as well. I made some good friends through service and I gained some teaching skills. Hope exams go well with you.

    ReplyDelete